Monday, February 1, 2010

My Experience as a Fiber Artist


No, not that kind of hooker! I am a rug hooking artist, life long crafts person and as you can see from the picture, a corgi lover. That's me with my two rescue dogs Cadi and Finnegan. This is my first attempt at a 'real' blog. I would like to share with others my artists journey as well as my path to self discovery. My hope is to spark dialogue with others about their experience in whatever you are striving for in this life...

I am forty (something) a bit of a late bloomer one could say. I have spent much of my adult life as a wife, homemaker (by the way I have issues with that label) and mother. There is nothing wrong with taking care of your home and family. I happen to think it is very important job, but I have been to one too many office parties where someone asks.........Oh what do you do? I would answer and watch as their eyes slowly glaze over into some state of oblivion. It's sort of like being invisible to those in the work world, they just assume you do nothing all day. It was then I decided to pursue something in my life that fulfilled me in a creative and artistic way. I am a firm believer that things happen in your life for a reason. I also think timing is very important. I don't think even five years ago I could have done what I am doing now. I had things to learn and a path to follow.
When my son became a teenager I decided to start picking up on some old interests. Since I was a little girl I have been creative. Always searching for that perfect creative outlet. You name it I tried it, mostly hand work like sewing, quilting, needlepoint, crocheting, knitting, etc. Self taught mostly, this particular trait made me quite stubborn when someone (with good intentions of course) tried to correct me. Later I would come to realize there was a method to my creative madness. Being wilful can mean you don't see the world like everyone else, therefore you create what is in your heart and mind. I found out through trial and error that I have something to say.
I settled on rug hooking as my medium to work in, it felt like the thing I should have always been doing. Now I make mixed media pieces. It was sort of like everything I did in the past led me to this point. I am not a trained artist, I do not hold a degree, I am just someone who wants to express themselves in a creative way. My work may not appeal to everyone or end up in a museum, but that fact does not make my pieces any less important. The artistic process is my path to self discovery and fulfillment.

So my journey started. I had gathered up my self confidence and put myself out there in the big world. Slowly I started learning new skills and applying them. My son taught me how to use the computer a couple of years ago. I was scared to death, it was like being in this foreign land where I did not speak the language. In March 2009 I set up my own shop on a site called Etsy. Along the way I have met some pretty wonderful people who have given me help and encouragement. A site called http://www.imaginemdd.blogspot.com/ featured one of my pieces "Childhood Memories" along with a very nice paragraph about my work. Article mention is called, 'portraits done in unconventonal materials'. Also one of my favorite sites is http://www.thedailycorgi.blogspot.com/ Laurie (corgi mom) and someone I consider a friend has been very good to me, she has featured some of my dog related work.
My goal with this blog is to share a little about me and my creative process. In the end we all basically experience the same sort of things, life's ups and downs, achievements and disappointments. I hope others will share their hopes and dreams with me.........

Later,


CadiGirl










No comments: